Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Clean as a Whistle (blower)

As a result of your stimulating comments on yesterday's post regarding healthy organic lollipops, I returned to Wild Oats market in Bend, Oregon, to read the content label on the back of the package . I learned that three unusually small suckers contain 17 grams of sugar. This sugar comes from rice, cane stalks (I assume sugar) and beet pulp (I assume sugar). Now I am no guru on nutritional information, but I had a feeling that if I bought a bag, I had better not cancel my dentist appointment.
Today's photo comes from a neighborhood dry cleaner. It assures customers that it cleans clothes in an Eco-Friendly manner. In fairness, dry cleaners in Oregon must dispose of solvents properly and, in order to be licensed, pay a fee annually into a clean-up superfund. Nonetheless, what made this establishment "green" and functioned differently than your washing machine or iron at home, baffled me. I thought momentarily of asking the lady behind the counter, since I didn't see any large tubs of the special "organic" detergent which costs up the kazoo at Wild Oats, but thought better of it, since there was already a language barrier, and my question might have been misconstrued and I didn't want to lose any shirts.
I am certainly in favor of earth-friendly economic activity, but have become increasingly annoyed by those who purport this goal, but capitalize on it for economic gain, without actually helping the cause at all. Without judging this small business in particular, note the misspelling of the word "environment" on the window as symbol of carelessness on such a vital subject. Is this a way to air your laundry?

10 comments:

Sylvia K said...

I have the same problem -- I feel that many people/businesses here in the northwest do capitalize on the "environment" issues. I find that as annoying as those in, say, Texas who don't give a -- well, you know, about the environment. I have a son who lives in Texas and I know whereof I speak. Great post, Lee!

Have a great evening!

Sylvia

Small City Scenes said...

I think we all are learning not to believe EVERYTHING we see or read. Ask questions and check things out--when in doubt--DON'T!

MB

Small City Scenes said...

I believe you met my daughter Jolene. I only have one grand-daughter, Miss Kylee. MB

tapirgal said...

Environmental issues aside, I really like your composition in this photo. It's the first thing I noticed, the lights, the reflections, the angle, the cropping, the division of the picture. Nice job on the visual and the content of the post.

tapirgal said...

Oh yes, and the reflections!

Unseen Rajasthan said...

The Composition is really nice !! Great..Unseen Rajasthan

Rinkly Rimes said...

I think they're just washing their dirty linen in public!

Lowell said...

I agree, Lee. (Hey, that could be a song! I'll work on it.)

Anyway, some words connected with the Green movement have lost their meaning...

Who knows, anymore, what "organic" means? Anyone can put anything on their store window. Who's going to check?

But, also like you, I'm firmly in favor of anything that will help save the environment.

We've become like the stupid people who used their house for kindling because they were too lazy to go out and find other sources of fuel, and thus destroyed the place that provided them the means of survival.

B SQUARED said...

Unfortunately, Green has become a buzz-word for all kinds of things it wasn't intended for.

cieldequimper said...

It is becoming a business fast.