Monday, May 18, 2009

Flower Power


I rose early this morning to bathe my addled brain in something yellow for a Monday post. I thought I would snap a photo of a Bend, Oregon sunrise. Instead like a hungry honey bee, I lit on these small yellow native flowers. I was struck by their star-like pattern and realized also they looked like little gingerbread people. Then they reminded me of propellers on boats or planes. I suppose if they were white they were the shape of snowflakes or if clear like raindrops splatting on the pavement. How amazing it is how often in nature shapes are reflected and repeated in something else large or small, fluid or solid. In any case, it was a morning when these soft, fragrant jewel-like clusters left me with a sense of awe.

7 comments:

tapirgal said...

I love your comments about how the patterns repeat in nature and they would look like snowflakes if they were white. I'm still looking for the gingerbread men, though. I believe you when you said you got up too early :) Beautiful flowers and nice atmospheric photo with the background blended and faded into the dark.

Lowell said...

Very pretty, for sure...you must have needed yellow for the joy and sunshine it represents.

Have a great week.

Bettey said...

Another fellow Oregonian!!! Good choice for Mellow Yellow Monday, and welcome to City Daily Photo ;)

Regina said...

It's a nice mellow yellow flower.

Unknown said...

Yes, they do look like little Gingerbread men ! :-)

I love the patterns that you can find in nature ... the shapes in clouds, in vegetables and so on..

I have a mountain that I can see from my front deck, it looks like a face in profile..

Very nice shot !

Lynette said...

Wonderful post, totally wonderful. Thanks!

Tash said...

I enjoy your write-ups as much as the photo. Well done.
Thanks for sharing your some of your story on PV daily. My niece & nephew graduated from South High 6 and 4 years ago. I have some aerial shots of it that I'll send your way. My husband grew up in PV & graduated in '67 - you probably crossed paths sometime.