Friday, May 29, 2009

Twilight's Lovesong

After waiting all afternoon for thunderclouds to develop here in Bend, Oregon, it became apparent that inclement weather was forming to the East and that the boomers, I had so eagerly anticipated, would sound their drums elsewhere. Instead, the westerly edge of the front sent this graceful mauve tendril across the horizon like an ethereal reflection of the Cascade peaks.
I drove up the hill from my house and snapped a number of shots and then struggled to choose which one I wanted to show for Skywatch Friday. Such magnificent sunsets can not be ruined by a bad camera or an inept photographer. With enough shots from enough angles,and presto, the majesty of the moment emerges. Tonight the power of nature's content and form radiate as one for you to appreciate. I open the shade and let in the light for you to see.

11 comments:

tapirgal said...

That is incredible! The shapes and colors are just amazing. I don't know when I've seen a sunset with the wispy fingers of cloud trailing high in the sky like that and the cumulus along the horizon. That is spectacular!

Unknown said...

what beautiful colors! stunning!

Jane Hards Photography said...

I just adore purple skies. Magnificent view

Lowell said...

Great job. Those colors are a bit unusual around here although I've gotten them a couple of times in Cedar Key.

Thanks for heading up that hill. I'd a probably stayed in bed!

Small City Scenes said...

WOW!!!! Look at all the great colors. You captured this scene perfectly. MB

Sanna said...

Amazing colours and contrasts! =)

Russ said...

Beautiful! Amazing colors!

Greg Dimitriadis said...

I agree, very nice photos!

Anonymous said...

You were not kidding this is stunning, glad you tweeted this or I would have missed it!

raf said...

Stunning!
I couldn't agree more with your assessment of how nature will win out and reveal the majesty of a rising or setting sun. After many shots and many angles by this would be photographer, I saw it happen yesterday morning over this way too and it made a good post for SWF.
Great work on your CDP blog, Lee.

Gennasus said...

Those are just fantastic colours