Saturday, May 30, 2009

Play Ball


When Shutterday Saturday asked to tell some aspect of what I do, I could have chosen any number of activities, but today it is time to relate, that I am passionate about watching and playing baseball. Oregon's major league team is the Seattle Mariners and fortunately their games are broadcast in Bend on TV and radio. Last weekend, I traveled North to attend the opening of inter-league play and framed this photo of two remarkable Mariner players, Mike Sweeney and Ken Griffey, Jr., sitting elbow to elbow. Both of these guys have had storied careers and will be rewarded entry into baseball's Hall of Fame.
Since childhood, I have spent countless hours captivated by this sport. To an outsider, it is a slow and strange game with far too many rules and statistics. It is played without a clock and the team on defense has the ball. It has a world series played by solely American teams and unlike other team sports, the players seem to stand around aimlessly inactive until suddenly the ball comes to them.
That being said, I am excited by the staccato-like pressure of the game. Stand at bat and feel challenged to hit the ball. Be in the field and catch the fly ball or the grounder. Make a split-second decision to throw the ball accurately to the right place. It is the heart-throb which comes from the unpredictable and of its anticipation.
Also the stadium is rich with color, sights, and odors of food. Missing is the aggression on the field and in the stands, something all too common in other team sports. The fan's joy is found in the game itself. I embrace this feeling totally and look forward to tonight's Mariner game against the Angels. It will be, in the words of a famous song, ".... a shame if they lose, but that's the ol' ballgame"

7 comments:

tapirgal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tapirgal said...

Hey, cool photo. I love watching baseball live at the stadium, and Safeco Field is always a pleasure. About cormorants, we actually have a plastic cormorant replica in our online gift shop. Thanks for asking!

Leeds daily photo said...

Odd timing, last night I listened to a history of baseball on BBC radio. I guess like many in England the whole thing is rather steeped in mystery. I was surprised to discover it is apparently based on our game of rounders. Now that I used to play at school, never played ball though.
Nice photo.

Lowell said...

The great American pasttime...

Nice commentary Lee, and super photo! I like baseball a lot, but don't watch it much anymore...

Thanks for your comment on Ocala DP...the boat with the Honda outboard was in the background and there just wasn't any way to exclude it...I was going to Photoshop it out, but decided I kinda liked it...

Small City Scenes said...

Neat shot of Sweeney and Griffey. A treasure for you. I used to attend the Mariner games but haven't for quite awhile. Logistics I suppose and some of the people I attended with have moved on. So it goes. MB

tapirgal said...

I've commented on your comment about the Hudson project. I thought I'd keep that discussion on the Hudson blog so it's all in one place. Thanks for reading it and for what you said.

Litlit said...

Hi Lee,

Thank you so much for visiting and the comment. I appreciate!